"If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun." - Katharine Hepburn
Question #3320 posted on 02/17/2004 midnight

Dear 100 Hour Board,

Can graduates of foreign medical schools be commissioned as a physician in the armed forces (assuming the person is a US citizen and meets other requirements)? Are they eligible for loan repayment? Please cite your source.

- Future M.D.

A: Dear Future M.D.,
According to the Army's website (goarmy.com), graduates of foreign medical schools are eligible for commission if they have an Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) Certificate. The Army has numerous programs for loan repayment, continuing education, etc. but they depend on your agreement of service. Check out the website for more information (http://healthcare.goarmy.com/sixcorps/mcorps/benefits.htm). The other armed forces have similar standards. Try http://www.navy.com/healthcare/physicians for info on the Navy's program.
If you want more sources, just go to the websites yourself and look the information up. All branches of the armed forces have accessible sites with plenty of information on what you need.

-Benvolio, who knows how to use Google. Do you?