"I like fiery passion, actually." - Olympus
Question #3871 posted on 03/06/2004 12:01 a.m.

Dear 100 Hour Board,
What is the US Dept of State's Foreign Service Institute? Is it like a regular graduate school or what? I am interested in that type of career path, but I can't find much info on it.
- Red, White, and Blue

A: Dear Red, White, and Blue,
The Foreign Service Institute is primarily for government service employees who will be preparing to work out of the country. It has language classes, training for a mobile lifestyle, etc. However, all but one of the courses is for government employees (or their families) only. It's not like a graduate program, it's a system to train people who are going to work abroad for the government. Think of it as the government's MTC.