"In my defense... I saw 'Bring It On'..." -Anonymous Board Writer
Question #56442 posted on 03/08/2010 3:01 a.m.
Q:

Dear 100 Hour Board,

I recently bought a small bear shaped like container of honey at the store. When I came home I noticed that on the back there is a warning label that reads: "WARNING: Do not feed honey to infants under one year." I was just wondering why? Is it because it is thick and sticky and they might choke or is it because of some other reason that is unknown to me?

- Eats oatmeal with honey for breakfast

A: Dear oatmeal and honey,

Because infants do not have a fully mature digestive system, they are at a higher risk for botulism. Honey contains the C. botulinum spore, which can release a toxin that causes botulism and all of the horrid things that come with it (nausea, paralysis, death, etc.).

~Hermia