"In my defense... I saw 'Bring It On'..." -Anonymous Board Writer
Question #8069 posted on 09/25/2004 4:05 a.m.

Dear 100 Hour Board,

Why, specifically, do bad things happen when you microwave metal stuff?

- Never done it, but curious nevertheless.

A: Dear Curious Microwaver:

Microwaves are electromagnetic radiation. Metal is, for the most part, a very good conductor of electricity. Thus, they attrach EM radiation. If you put metal in a microwave, it has the tendency to pull all the waves to it, which can cause overheating in areas, electrical arcing, and both of those lead to fires.

-- Misaneroth
A: Dear Curious,

And, if you can't wait another 9 months for the 4th of July you can always stick those free AOL CD's you get in the microwave and set it on "high."

Of course, you should probably make sure you're using your own microwave and not the University's. Oh, and remember the rule of thumb: the more CD's you put in at once, the more fireworks!

- Pyro

p.s. Warning: don't try this at home! Try it at your neighbor's house where they have more insurance.