Dear 100 hour board alumnus and current writers,
YAY for reunion week! With all your great advice about books to read and good movies/TV shows, I was wondering what are your top 3 favorite TV shows you are watching currently and why?
-summer is here and it's time to binge watch
Dear Summer Is Here And It's Time To Binge Watch,
I didn't even need to hesitate with this one. There are exactly three shows that I am obsessed with right now:
1.) My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
2.) Game of Thrones
3.) Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
Not only are these my top three, but they are all currently airing new episodes, too. I also feel like this list says a lot about me as a person.
Honorable mention: Daredevil
1. The Flash because it's fun, uplifting, comic booky but when watched with Arrow the contrast makes Flash way better. I think it's done pretty well.
2. Naruto: Shippuden because I like some animes and I was watching it with my neighbor so it was kind of like our hang out thing but he's gone now to go get married. On the bright side, they just got done with a year of filler episodes so the story is advancing again!
3. Sort of Arrow. I watch it when I'm caught up on The Flash and I don't know what else to do with my time. I thought the 3rd season was the best but I'm always so curious about where they are going to go with the story since their story lines don't follow the comics exactly.
I don't know when AGT starts (it's either already going or will be soon) but I normally follow that when it's on.
- The West Wing: phenomenal writing, fascinating look into the political process from the perspective of a White House staffer, makes me almost not hate politics.
- 30 Rock: I laugh out loud more watching this show than any comedy I've ever seen. Tina Fey is a genius.
- Better Call Saul: along with Breaking Bad, this is one of the most brilliantly conceived shows I've ever watched. Every detail, every shot, every line of dialog has a distinct reason with nothing wasted.
-The Man with a Mustache
I'm only watching 3 shows right now, so that makes things easy.
- Orphan Black. Tatiana Maslany plays 11 different characters and I consistently forget that because she does it so well. Phenomenal acting from the entire cast, but especially her. Besides that, it's well-written, I love the characters, and it's incredibly suspenseful without overdoing it. Usually.
- Daredevil. I just started this one, but I've enjoyed the first two episodes. I will certainly keep going.
- The Powerpuff Girls. I'm reliving my childhood through Netflix since I'm disappointed in what little I've seen of the reboot. This show was golden in its day.
I'm currently watching The West Wing, Chuck, and New Girl. They're my top three because they're the only three I'm watching right now. The other writers have said a lot about The West Wing, so I'll just say that they are right; it is the best; go watch it now. Chuck I've been watching on and off since my freshman year and I've finally decided to buckle down and finish it. Honestly, I don't love the season I'm in right now (Season 4) but I care enough about the characters that I'm going to push through to the end. And finally, New Girl is hilarious. Zooey Deschanel kind of bothers me, but I love all the other characters, and two of my favorites are getting married this season, and just...just...squee.
Game of Thrones, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, and Silicon Valley. A few years ago a guy I worked with gave me his roommate's HBO GO password and I have used the heck out of it ever since.
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Hashbrown no filter.
- 30 Rock. I'm late to the party but I'm literally 4 episodes away from finishing the series. Love Tina Fey and all the cameos on this show!
- Grey's Anatomy. The past season or two haven't been as good as I hoped, but it's so addicting! I'm in it too far now to just quit.
The Flash - I used to watch Arrow but it got too moody for me, while The Flash is usually pretty fun. (Also, my student assistant and I both watch The Flash, so our Thursday morning meetings are basically just analyses of the latest episode.)
Parks and Recreation - I started watching this a few years ago but I never finished it, so I'm currently watching season 6 for the first time.
Master of None - I have to give a content warning for this one (sex, language, and heartbreaking-ness) and I also have to say that the first episode didn't do much for me, but I really enjoyed the show overall and I think everyone on the planet should watch episode 2 ("Parents").
1. Winnie the Pooh
2. Doctor Who
The Lone Musketeer
I am loving:
2. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
3. The Flash
Honorable Mention: Covert Affairs, which is kind of a standard spy show, but I am enjoying it. I mean, Eyal, though, and Christopher Gorham! Supergirl is also great, but a little more one-dimensional than The Flash, maybe?
Opposite Honorable Mention: Legends of Tomorrow has pretty terrible writing. Mick is kinda the only one who has really good character development still happening, and I only like the other characters because of their development on their other shows. The new-to-this-show characters (mostly Rip?) are awful. Blerrghhh. I watch it anyway because I want to keep up with that storyline, though, because I like The Flash and Arrow. And Victor Garber and Brandon Routh.
- Game of Thrones - drama and epic
- The Great British Bake Off - such polite contestants and judges with constructive criticism and helpful baking tips, and hilarious hosts
- Fixer Upper - zany couple antics, and a very very idealized way of life
1. The Americans: It's. So. Intense. If you like dramas, this is the best one on TV right now.
2. The Last Man On Earth: Weird and hilarious, but also manages to be very touching at times.
3. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: An hour-long comedy? With singing?! It's really funny and plays tropes perfectly.
Honorable mentions to iZombie (stupid name, awesome characters and plot arcs) and Brooklyn Nine-Nine.