Dear Dr. Occam, Kirito, and the Entomophagist,
Please introduce yourselves! Also, how did you pick your 'nyms?
Dear Sheebs (and all the other readers and writers, I guess),
Fun fact: I registered as a Board reader exactly one year before being accepted as a probationary reader. I mean, I'd read the Board for quite a while before that, but still. Pretty cool, right?
I'm 22 years old. I have more siblings than most people I know, and most of them are sisters. I'm from the best state in the U.S.A., but most people say I don't fit their stereotype for it. I started grad school here at BYU this January, partly because research is so darn interesting, and partly because I'm too young and single to want to have a real job yet.
Apparently all of us new writers are obsessed with languages. Learning Spanish on my mission opened up a new world for me, and if I hadn't already been pretty far along in my chosen major, I might have ended up studying linguistics. I grew up hearing a lot of Swiss German at home, since my mom is from Switzerland, but I never really learned more than the most basic German until I took German 101 and audited 201 and 202. So I can follow a German conversation pretty well, but it would take a few months of total immersion to get me to speak it like I do Spanish. Also, last summer I put a considerable amount of time into learning Quenya, and if that doesn't tell you how much of a nerd I am, I don't know what will.
Here are some things I like to do with my spare time:
- Read (Tolkein, Lemony Snicket, and Terry Pratchett are some of my favorite authors)
- Play video games (mostly Nintendo franchises, like The Legend of Zelda and Pokémon)
- Watch TV (I keep up with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Gotham, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine lately)
- Bake (especially desserts)
- Rock climb (both bouldering and top rope)
- Eat food
- Listen to music
- Anything involving food
- Big crowds of people
As for my 'nym...
Entomophagy (/ˌɛntəˈmɒfədʒi/, from Greek ἔντομον éntomon, "insect", and φᾰγεῖν phagein, "to eat"):
the human consumption of insects as food
Need I say more? If so, ask away.
Ok, let's play the get to know you game!
Interestingly enough, I started reading the board back in 2011 or 2012 but honestly never had the desire to become a writer until quite recently. I'm generally not a big fan of writing, though that typically applies more to an academic setting. Essays are pretty much the bane of my existence academically.
I'm apparently the only new probie who is not either in or about to enter grad school. Learning that Ento is younger than me (I'm 23) and already in grad school actually kinda makes me feel bad about myself (but don't worry Ento, I forgive you).
I speak French fluently and can hold a decent conversation in Spanish though I currently struggle with a very limited vocabulary. I love learning languages and when I'm rich and famous a more established adult and have time and money for hobbies I plan on learning at least a few more including Arabic, either Mandarin or Japanese, and perhaps one other that I have yet to decide on. I also plan to speak French to my children so they can grow up bilingual because that's just cool.
Speaking of children, I'm married with a daughter on the way, due in a few months. Yay for exciting life changes (that are slightly terrifying since Mrs. Occam and I are both still in school for a few more semesters)!
Some of my hobbies in no particular order are:
- Playing video games - especially Nintendo but also a bit of PC and Xbox (currently playing through Golden Sun: Dark Dawn for the second time on my DS and working on a run-through of Pokémon Omega Ruby with an all water-type team).
- Reading, especially fantasy. Some of my favorites are The Belgariad and The Mallorean by David Eddings, the books of Tamora Pierce that take place in the realm of Tortall, Brandon Sanderson (specifically Stormlight and Mistborn), and the Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus books.
- Running, though I'm horrible at making myself do it without having a partner or group to go with.
- Derping around on the interwebs.
- Watching TV shows (especially John Oliver, Game of Thrones, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I've also recently started Supernatural and the anime Darker than Black both of which I like so far).
This one gets its own section because it's special. I love listening to music and singing. I have sung in the BYU Men's Chorus during 5 out of my 6 semesters at BYU and also recently started singing in a group in the A Capella Club on campus. Basically, music and singing are two of the main things that keep me sane and I actually felt some withdrawal symptoms the one semester I was not able to be a part of Men's Chorus.
It took me until the beginning of this year to even sort of figure out what I want to be when I grow up, and even now I'm not totally certain. But I feel better about my current path than I did about my previous one so there's that.
As far as my 'nym goes, it comes a lot from my personality. I started college majoring in engineering and though I've recently changed to a different path, I still think very much like an engineer as Mrs. Occam will readily attest. Simply put, I often feel like the simplest solution to a problem is probably the best (note simplest doesn't always mean easiest or "path of least resistance"). I also don't like when people make a big deal of simple issues or when things get unreasonably or unnecessarily complicated. I also just like the way it sounds and that it provides "Doc Oc" as a reasonable nick-'nym.
Dang, thinking of things to say about myself is hard. Hopefully that satisfies your curiosity. If not, feel free to question me further.
Also, my toothbrush is blue and white, my favorite Sesame Street character is Snuffleupagus, I'd definitely be a Ravenclaw, and I think it'd be pretty cool to tase a moose.
There you go.
Dear all y'all,
Being a Board writer is an old dream of mine. The 100 Hour Board has literally been first on my favorites bar for four and a half years now (though that's more for alphabetical reasons than anything). So it's pretty awesome to be a new probie!
I've been at BYU a few years now, and I start my Master's program here in the fall, so I'll be around awhile longer. I'm way into both science and music, and I ended up going for a science major with a music minor, which has been way fun. I like to read, I dabble a bit in photography and cooking, and for some strange reason I actually enjoy fixing computer problems. Plus I always love a good dance.
A bit more about me:
- If I went to Hogwarts I would be a Ravenclaw for sure, but I'd probably spend a lot of time with the Hufflepuffs.
- If I could be any superhero, I would be Spiderman. "Brilliant but lazy" is practically my catchphrase!
- If I could live in any Brandon Sanderson book it would be The Rithmatist.
- If I was one of the 4 Gregs, I'd be Japanese Culture Greg.
- If I could go on a vacation to any country, it would be Iceland.
- If I could move any closer to Little Caesar's, I would.
About the 'nym: I'm a bit obsessed with languages, and this year's project is Japanese. I've been trying to teach myself the language, supplemented with a healthy dose of anime. Amidst all that, a character I really resonated with was Kirito from an awesome anime called Sword Art Online. Kirito wasn't his real name, it was a 'nym he used for the virtual reality MMO the show takes place in. So it just seemed to fit. The moment I thought of using that as my 'nym on the Board was the moment I knew I was ready to apply. And here I am!
I've been watching Strong Bad Emails all week for inspiration on how to answer questions. Though maybe that's not the best idea....
Anyways, hit me with your best questions!