"When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable. " - Walt Disney
Question #88986 posted on 02/16/2017 2:24 p.m.

Dear 100 Hour Board,

I am in a class where the professor has mistreated some of the class content in a personal and generally offensive way. I have emailed this professor (multiple times) to express my concerns in a polite way, but have received no response.

Is there a way I can report this behavior to the University? (Besides student ratings) Is there a way that I can report poor behavior by professors anonymously?

My hope is that other students in the future won't have to be hurt the way I was.


Frustrated Student


Dear Frustrated,

If your professor hasn't made any changes, then go to the person above them. Specifically, you could try emailing the Dean of the college to which this professor belongs. To do this anonymously, you could always set up another email account for this purpose, or create an email alias. Personally, I think that your concerns will have more weight if you bring them up in person (so not anonymously), but I also think that the Dean would understand a desire for anonymity.

If the Dean does nothing, then keep on bringing your concerns to people in higher levels of the hierarchy.

Unfortunately, this isn't guaranteed to enact any change, but at least you will have done your best to improve this class for future students.


posted on 02/16/2017 4:01 p.m.

Before going to the Dean of the college, take your concerns to the department chair. Usually you can set up an appointment directly with the department chair, but you may need to contact the department secretary first.

posted on 02/16/2017 8:17 p.m.
Some of my professors have email addresses on Learning Suite that they never check. Are you sure he is getting your emails? I bet it's a hard thing to talk about in person, but could you check to be sure it's the right contact info?