Dear 100 Hour Board,
In Silk Parachute, John McPhee wrote an essay about his "list" which is essentially a list of things he's proud to have eaten. What's your list?
-The Man with a Mustache
- Cow tongue
- Chicken heart
- Guinea pig*
- Chicken leg bones
*In the last week!
The Man with a Mustache
- Once my dad caught a shark on a fishing trip. Instead of throwing it back like a normal person would do, he cooked it and we ate it. It was kind of weird.
- Once my cousin killed a rattlesnake on a camping trip. Instead of throwing it away like a normal person would do, he cooked it and we ate it. It was also kind of weird.
- On my mission, we were often served this these things called mollejas. When I asked the other gringo missionaries what "mollejas" meant, they told me they were chicken bladders. I was really proud of having eaten them until I got home, typed "mollejas" into Google Translate, and discovered that they were actually chicken gizzards, which is basically the poultry equivalent of tripe. So still proud. But not as proud.
- I also once ate all the cartilage off a cow vertebrate to make my host happy. It was the grossest thing. But yessiree, I'm proud of having eaten it.
Dear Mustachio-ed Man,
Frog legs, horse, squid, octopus, and chicken hearts all make the list. Also blood sausage, because although it might not be as "exotic" as some of the other things I listed, it was truly absolutely horrifyingly gross, and I'm incredibly proud of myself for finishing not just one giant blood sausage, but two (someone gave it to me on the mission for lunch so I had to eat it). Also one time I had deep-fried hot dogs (also on the mission), and I guess that could make the list.
Squid, octopus, chicken feet, and deep-fried cheesecake.
The deep-fried cheesecake was by far the nastiest.
Dear The ~
1. Fish eyes. Twice. Because the designated videographer accidentally took a picture instead of a video the first time.
2. Frog legs. Which I grilled myself.
3. A whole fish. 3 times! (Like, a fish that is cooked whole, skin and all. Not like, I ate the bones. Ew.)
~ Dragon Lady
Dear I mustache you a question,
- Fish head
- Chicken heart
- Unidentifiable parts of a goat
- Head cheese
- The entirety of an enormous meal made by a Latinx family who (no joke) tortured missionaries on purpose by forcing them to eat enormous meals. (Someone should ask me to tell that story sometime.)
- Kidney pie (The guy at the British restaurant pointedly made sure I knew what I was ordering—"You realize it's not, like, kidney beans. It's actual cow kidney," he said. I assured him that it was entirely my intention to eat a cow's kidney.)
- Fries quatro quesos dos fritos
One time I was trying make a good impression at a fancy dinner, so I didn't pick the pile of raw tomatoes off the bruschetta, despite my intense hatred of tomatoes.
I'm still proud of myself for that.