Dear 100 Hour Board,
What, in your opinion, are the most criminally underrated or under-appreciated songs by your favorite well-known artists?
Current selections include:
- "By the Grace of God" by Katy Perry
- "Man Who Never Lied" and "Sad" my Maroon 5. Really their whole Overexposed album
- "Her Diamonds" by Rob Thomas
- "Kids" by OneRepublic
Quickly scrolling through my music collection, here are a few from me:
- Arcade Fire: "It's Never Over (Hey Orpheus)"
- The Beatles: Kind of difficult to call any Beatles song "criminally underrated," but I love "Getting Better" a lot more than an average person
- Cat Stevens: "The Wind"
- The Clash: "Rudie Can't Fail" (this isn't under-appreciated, but Foreman might have just read the title of this song and now it's in his head)
- Destiny's Child: "Bug A Boo" (not joking)
- Gwen Stefani: "Good" (fight me)
- James Brown: "Please Please Please"
- LCD Soundsystem: "Yeah (Pretentious Mix)"
- NSYNC: "Thinking of You (I Drive Myself Crazy)"
- Pink Floyd: "Have A Cigar" (not really underrated, but I'd put it on my top 3 Floyd songs and I don't think 95% of Pink Floyd fans would)
- Queen: "'39"
- Radiohead: "Creep" (this is a joke and I'm laughing at it)
- Weezer: "Mykel and Carli"
In no particular order,
- Journey: "Stone in Love"
- Elton John: "Funeral for a Friend / Love Lies Bleeding"
- Led Zeppelin: "Hey, Hey, What Can I Do" (inasmuch as any Zeppelin song can be considered underappreciated, anyway)
- The Doobie Brothers: "Beehive State" (mostly included because hardly anyone writes songs about Utah; also, I was really disappointed that they didn't play it at their Salt Lake show last summer)
- U2: "Mothers of the Disappeared" (but honestly, every song on The Joshua Tree is pretty much perfect)
- Jimmy Eat World: "The Authority Song"
- The Killers: "Runaways"
Some of my favorite Radiohead songs are the deep cuts. From OK Computer I've always loved "Let Down" and "Lucky," and I think "Faust Arp" from In Rainbows is wonderful. And your mileage for "underrated" may vary on this one, but "How to Disappear Completely" might be one of the all-time great songs in recorded history, so even if it was one of the bigger songs from Kid A, I'll still argue that it was underrated.
I'll also go ahead and go on record as saying that the entirety of the catalog of They Might Be Giants (other than "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)", "Birdhouse in Your Soul", and possibly "Boss of Me") is gigantically underrated. Those guys have been killing it for three straight decades in relative obscurity.
Not any one song in particular, but I think that Kesha is the most criminally underrated well-known artist (due in part to some actual criminality by one alleged "doctor"). If I had to pick one underrated song as the most underrated I'd take the "Till The World Ends" remix she's on with Nicki.
Dear Audio Phil,
I know very little about music. However, there's a song called "Leave the Bourbon on the Shelf" by the Killers that's on Sawdust, their B-Side album, and I think it's quite good.
There's honestly not a lot of artists that I know a lot of songs by. I tend to pick up songs from lots of people here and there and as such end up with a lot of not underrated songs on my playlists. However, I provide the following small list from some artists with which I am more familiar:
OneRepublic - "Come Home".
Coldplay - "Warning Sign" and then basically the whole X&Y album apart from like "Fix You", "Talk", and "Speed of Sound".
Train - "Hopeless", "When I Look to the Sky", and "We Were Made for This".
U2 - "Peace on Earth", "City of Blinding Lights", "Miracle Drug".
I would note that my criteria in making this list was primarily songs by the artist that 1) I really like, 2) which I have not (to my recollection) heard on the radio with anything resembling frequency, and 3) which when I mention the songs as being ones I like, people rarely seem to be familiar with them.
It is quite possible that some of the songs I listed were more well known when they were initially released, but have not had the staying power of some others by the same artists and as such would not necessarily be considered underrated. However for the purposes of this question and my particular list, they suffice.