Dear 100 Hour Board,
What makes you happy?
- The smell of a summer storm. The smell of wet concrete and the smell of freshly cut grass. Rolling hills.
- When the moon is bright at night. Sunrises and sunsets. But especially sunsets.
- Knowing that someone cares about me. Being able to care about another person deeply. Being able to serve others in deeply meaningful ways.
- All memes but mostly memes about dogs and/or socialism.
- Great poetry, and above all, beautiful music. Mostly, finely crafted words, music, and art in general. Human creativity when you really get down to it.
- Smiling. Also Chick-fil-a.
- Making lists. Also making plans. Making a calendar. Incomplete sentences.
- Just talking to people I care about. Good conversation makes me happier than most things.
- Traveling. Experiencing new things, new places, new cultures, new food, new people. I love having my worldview shaken and I love learning. All of these things make me really happy.
- When I have the perfect amount of something, like when my shaving cream runs out at the perfect time, or I have exact change.
- Getting things done. This is true to a fault, but it does makes me extremely satisfied to feel like I've done something good.
- Doing literally anything spontaneous. It could be like anything at all, if it feels like an adventure, I'll literally be so excited. This usually includes making terrible decisions about fast food restaurants at absurd hours of the morning.
- Cooking, or creating things really. Writing or arranging music, just writing. Anytime I can create and feel good about it is exciting for me.
- People make me happy. I just love people watching, learning about others, or just talking to people. People are really amazing.
- Poorly Drawn Lines
- Coming up with crazy ideas, business or otherwise, that I'll never actually do.
- Actually doing the crazy plans that I come up with.
- Having a really good personal study, those moments when I really connect to a scripture, or to a quote.
That's a short list. A lot of things make me really happy, and thank you for that reminder.
Keep it real,
Love. Hugs. Babies. Puppies. Tiny versions of objects. Chocolate. Having a good idea. Being outside in nature. Music. Harry Potter. Moments where I really love the gospel.
- The scent of flowers on the air especially coupled with birdsong (Spring is really just the best, guys).
- Hot chocolate.
- Popcorn. Not just microwave popcorn, but the kind where you pop the kernels yourself.
- Books by Terry Pratchett. For some reason, I hardly ever laugh out loud when I read something funny, but reading Terry Pratchett has me constantly sniggering.
- Mountains. A lot of the time when I look at the mountains in Provo, I can't help but grin.
- Yoga. I'm in a yoga class this semester and it is seriously one the best decisions of my life. I love it.
- Letting go, and just doing random things in the spur of the moment. Admittedly I don't do this nearly often enough, but it makes me so happy when I do.
- Good friends. I have a hard time connecting with others and building friendships, but the good ones that I have I absolutely treasure.
- My nieces and nephew. They are the cutest, and I love them with a passion (which enables them to get many, many "horsie" rides).
- Walking to and then entering the temple.
- That special moment of enlightenment where I get something. I'm more than a little addicted to the high I get when all the little pieces of a difficult problem suddenly click together in my brain, and I can see the solution.
- Learning. I have an obsession with gaining knowledge, and even the prospect of learning copious amounts of new material fills me with excitement.
- Along the same lines, I love a good challenge. Telling me something is really hard is one of the surest ways to inspire an unshakable resolve to do it.
- Music. So much music.
- Hiking. This is wonderful because depending on the difficultly of the hike, it combines my love of a challenge with my love of mountains, and nature in general.
- When I feel like God is near.
A lot of things it turns out. Here's a few in no particular order:
- Baby Z (except when she wakes up early Zed or I have to entertain her while still 80% asleep or more)
- Singing/music in general
- My a cappella group
- Having a job
- Reading a good book
- Playing a good game (video, card, board, etc.)
- Remembering how awesome the gospel is
- Running with my older brother while we're on opposite ends of the country (technology is AMAZING!)
- These two seal gifs
- My family (both my side and Zed's)
- Ice cream
- Good food in general
There you have it, a small list of things that make me happy. Do with that information what you will.
Sad things make happy things happier.