Dear 100 Hour Board,
I've been using these as a few of my go-to "random get-to-know-you/icebreaker questions", so I was curious what some of my favorite writers would have to say about them!
1. What's the most interesting article you've read recently?
2. What's the last thing you shared on social media? (retweet, reblog, whatever)
3. What song is currently stuck in your head? (or just the latest one if you don't have anything stuck in your head right now, you lucky soul)
4. Tell me the best stupid pun you've heard in the last month:)
-green great dragon
1. "Donald Trump Didn't Want to Be President." Apparently people have been talking about this for a few days now, but I was at my grandma's with no internet the last few weeks, so everything that's happened in the past two weeks is new to me! I thought the article was really interesting; while I wouldn't use it to conclusively prove anything, it does help explain certain actions of Trump and his administration.
2. I'm really bad at social media. I think I updated my profile picture, what, a month ago? Yep, a month and a half ago.
3. "Beth's Theme" from the show Broadchurch. Great show, and the soundtrack was just gorgeous.
4. This isn't a pun but it's still great: my missionary friend uses quotes he's heard that week as the subject of his weekly email, and the subject a few weeks ago was, "The bishop used to introduce me as his 'cussing counselor.' I don't know where the [deleted] he got that from."
-guppy of doom
1. I recently read this article about how Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy was tired of all his big time assistant coaches getting hired away as head coaches, so he set out to find a great offensive coordinator that nobody knew. He came up with the stats he wanted to measure, and then found Mike Yurich, firefighter and offensive coordinator of an obscure lower division college football team. Mike Yurich has gone one to become one of the best assistant college football coaches in the nation. It's a cool little guy making it big sports story.
2. It was a video I sent to my family wishing them Merry Christmas while I was on my mission. It came up on the "1 year ago" thing on Facebook.
3. "Are You Ready For It?" by Taylor Swift. I haven't even heard that song for around 2 months, so I have no idea why it's in my head.
4. We were watching Polar Express, and we were at the part with the creepy marionettes saying "You're a Scrooge! A Scrooge!". Then my 7 year old sister said "Well that scared the Dickens out of me". We all died laughing. Well played sis.
1. Ok, so it's just a Wikipedia article but today I was reading about CITRUS TAXONOMY and who knew it could be SO COOL. Every current citrus fruit is really the result of interbreeding between the four true citrus plants; citron, pummelo, mandarine, and papeda. That's pretty neat! The Wikipedia page has a nifty chart that shows how they're all related.
2. This is the last thing that I shared, and it was a really interesting read. I have a lot of thoughts about it but I think that it's a really valuable and important thing to read without any prior comments, so I'll just leave the link there.
3. It's definitely "Paint" by The Paper Kites. I was literally singing it to myself as I opened up this question so I'd say it's stuck in my head.
4. Just today I saw this tweet that said:
HER: I love Mark Hoppus. Can you imagine Blink-182 if they changed their bass?
ME: [imagining Blink-0xB6 or Blink-10110110] Not really, no."
and I laughed a lot, so that's probably the best/stupidest pun I've seen recently.
This is basically my life today, welcome to a little snapshot.
Keep it real,
1. The most interesting article I've read recently is about the origin of the Department of Defense doing their annual "Santa Tracker" on Christmas Eve. Turns out it all started with a wrong number in a Sears ad in the 1950s prompting kids to call Santa, but it accidentally put the number of a secret military bunker in Colorado.
2. The most recent thing I posted on social media was a picture of my husband and I on Instagram looking cheesy and cute for Christmas, but that's sort of boring. Before that, the most recent thing I posted was an article about Henry VIII on Facebook, because I'm a nerd, and even though I almost never post on Facebook, I decided this was worth it.
3. I actually haven't had any songs really stuck in my head lately. I suppose the most recent one was "Winter Wonderland."
4. The best pun I've heard this month was actually on one of my finals. It was a beastly 140 question test, so on the bottom of every other page, the professor wrote puns to keep us going. My favorite was, "How does an octopus go into battle? Well-armed."
1. Searching through my browser history, this article on the importance of soft skills, even in technical fields, was the only article that I seem to have read recently. It was pretty interesting.
2. The most recent item on my timeline is me changing my cover photo.
3. At the moment I first read this question, the most recent song to be stuck in my head was "The Ketchup Song (Aserejé)" by Las Ketchup. It's all my sister's fault.
4. Story time: my friend was asking me what my life would be like in 2.5 years because werf was planning a roadtrip and wanted to know if we would still be friends then. Fifteen minutes later, I realized that I should have answered that I didn't have 2020 vision. I was very disappointed in myself.
1. My brother got me a subscription to the New York Times for Christmas, so I've been swimming in interesting articles. However, this one about sexual harassment in Ford plants has given me the most cause for reflection lately.
2. The last thing I posted was a picture of myself on the Mark Twain riverboat at Disneyland, because it's my favorite place in the entire world.
3. Since I moved to Florida in January, I've been suffering without a good alternative station. But the last few weeks have resolved that trauma, because a new station finally started and I'm not stuck listening to awful Top 40 for the rest of my life. They've been playing "No Roots" pretty frequently, so that one gets stuck in my head a lot.
4. During the holiday season, the Jungle Cruise attraction is given a holiday overlay and rethemed to the "Jingle Cruise," which offers countless opportunities for Christmas-themed puns. Usually at the end of the attraction as you unload the boats the skipper makes some kind of mean joke about making you get out, but for the holiday the best one I've heard is "Make like Santa and leave my presence."
1. This article from The Ringer about Star Wars . It compares and contrasts The Empire Strikes Back and The Last Jedi . It's an awesome look at the expectations for Star Wars.
2. A Facebook post celebrating the two-year anniversary of Ms. Mitty and I.
3. "The Other Side" from The Greatest Showman (mild language). This is intentional though as I have been listening to the album all day.
4. Which country’s capital is the fastest growing? Ireland’s. Every year it’s Dublin.
- Article: Okay, so the other day I was watching a documentary with a friend on hunting the Zodiac Killer. There was a team of coders attempting to break the Z340 code that supposedly contains the Zodiac's real name, who were working with a supercomputer named CARMEL to do so. CARMEL was programmed to think like the Zodiac, and being artificial intelligence, started writing some super creepy poetry. Being me, after watching the documentary, I looked up this article to read some more of the super creepy poetry. Though kind of chilling, it's definitely interesting!
- Social Media: The only social media I have is Facebook, and the last thing I shared was in August (so actually closer to now than I was anticipating). It was the Church's statement condemning white supremacy in relation to all the stuff that had been going down in Charlottesville.
- Song: Lately, I've had "So She Dances" by Josh Groban playing through my mind.
- Pun: my oldest sister and I have been exchanging inspirational quotes and jokes lately; this is one of my favorites I got from her: "Why did the yogurt go to the art exhibit? Because it was cultured!"
Dear Green Giant,
1. "A Field Guide to the Musical Leitmotifs of 'Star Wars'," including thoughts about The Last Jedi. Good thing I got the soundtrack for Christmas!
2. A New Year's resolution disguised as a Star Wars quote.
3. "Shooting Stars" by Bag Raiders. My brother introduced me to the meme last week. I know I was late to the party, but it's been one crazy week catching up.
4. I told my mom I had a dream that a girl I know gave me a teacup. She said, "You're really trying to read the tea leaves on that one."