If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, forget em', cause, man, they're gone. –Jack Handey

Dear 100 Hour Board,

I recently moved to Canada on a student visa, and slightly more recently got engaged to a cute Canadian (yay!). Anyway, as we're going about planning weddings and locations and whatnot, there has been concern about how getting married will affect my visa.

Someone mentioned that if we get married in The States, that I actually will not be able to return to Canada afterwards(due to name changes or something?) because my visa will no longer match. Someone else told us that if we get married in Canada that I'll have a heck of a time getting my passport and things updated for The States (and then might not be able to return there).

I can find no information on any of these possible scenarios, but I remember a board writer or two who did the opposite thing and got married in The States as a Canadian on a student visa. Do they have any words of wisdom or advice?

-Wedding Colo(u)rs


Dear person,

At this time, there aren't any Canadian (non-dual citizen) writers who have married Americans writing for the Board. Sorry!

I strongly recommend contacting an immigration lawyer. They know everything you will possibly need to know and will give you the best advice.


posted on 04/13/2018 3:55 p.m.
There are readers that are dual citizens with Canadian parents that married Americans though!

According to my darling mother, both statements are correct. Regardless of where you choose to get married, it will be quite difficult to get into the other place.

Her recommendation is to get married in Canada and come back down. You wouldn't yet have anything changed, and as an American it will be easier to come back. werf's spouse will have a harder time getting back to the states. It also depends on which place you plan on living permanently.

If you are coming to STAY in the U.S., spouse will have to change their immigration status: (https://www.uscis.gov)

If you plan to move to Canada someday, you have to deal with Canadian immigration (in my experience, they're pretty nice, eh?) (https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html)

You can also take a stop into an immigration office in Salt Lake, or find one in Canada. Sheebs is correct to say that you could also talk to a lawyer.

Ultimately, it will be difficult either way, and will take a long time. Someone will probably have to end up changing their immigration status. But when you love someone, you figure it out!

Best of luck