Dear 100 Hour Board but mostly Tipperary,
Thoughts on T. Swift's new album?
This album is a MASTERPIECE. Excellently crafted, a healthy balance between tempos and styles, with bops like "I Forgot That You Existed", "London Boy", "I Think He Knows","The Man", "You Need to Calm Down", and "Paper Rings"... and beautiful songs like "Lover", "The Archer", "Afterglow", "Death By A Thousand Cuts", and "It's Nice to Have A Friend."
It's been the only thing I've been listening to for the last week or so since it came out. I love the new stuff since the Reputation album wasn't my favorite vibe for T.S. Lover is really refreshing and has some 1989 essence while still being its own amazing unit. In fact, I feel justified in saying it's my favorite album.
In any case, I'm impressed and can't get these jams out of my head. My personal favorites are "The Man" (TELL 'EM T!), "Paper Rings" (ADORABLE!), and "I Forgot That You Existed" (Savage, a Big Mood).
Guesthouse (who, if she was a man, would be THE MAN.)
Dear Magnetic Force of a Man,
Okay if you are reading this go watch the music video for the title track "Lover" right now. I don't care if you've seen it watch it again because it is amazing, and dreamy, and perfect, and more than perfect. I am obsessed with it.
If you couldn't tell, I am a huge fan of Lover. It feels so vulnerable, and personal, and special. I feel like that's what really makes this album special. Stylistically, it's different than any of Taylor's old albums, and it was cool to see a variety of styles, speeds, and moods in the album. Listening to the whole album is truly an emotional experience. Lover hits me different than any of her other albums. It's truly magical.
I'm not going to review every song, but I would like to make some comments about my absolute favorites:
- Lover: Guys this song is so dreamy, and cute, and catchy. I feel like Taylor wrote this one to be her wedding song. To me this song feels like when everything goes right. It touches my heart so much, that sometimes I listen to it a few times in row.
- It's Nice to Have a Friend: This song is so wholesome and cute. Before Lover I wasn't really a fan of slow T-Swift songs, but this album and this song totally converted me. I can't wait until this one has a music video because this song tells such a cute story.
- Paper Rings: This song is such a bop. It's so upbeat, and catchy, and cute, and just makes me want to dance. Absolute definition of a bop.
- Soon You'll Get Better: Guys this song is so good but also so sad. It breaks my heart a little every time I listen to it, but I think that's important. This is definitely the most emotional song of the album.
- I Forgot That You Existed: This song is so savage, but it also has a vibe of moving on, letting go, and finally being free. I feel like Reputation dealt a lot with how people percieved Taylor, but Lover forgets that they existed and let's her be herself. This song is freeing and refreshing, yet totally savage at the same time which I think is pretty cool.
- You Need to Calm Down: This song is still such a mood. Savage, catchy, and hilarious. This song will never get old.
There are a lot of other really good songs too. I'd recommend giving the whole thing a listen! You will not be disappointed.
Seeing as I've had London Boy stuck in my head for the past 24 hours (including from 4am to 5am this morning when I woke up and couldn't fall back asleep) and I'm not even mad about it, I'm gonna go ahead and say the album's a good one. It definitely made good road trip music for me and my roommate this weekend.
Also, I agree with Tipperary that the Lover music video is perfect.
P.S. If you've never watched all of Taylor Swift's music videos in chronological order in a single sitting, I would absolutely recommend it.