Dear 100 Hour Board,
So this has been floating around social media. What are 10 unpopular things you like? What 10 things do you seem to appreciate that society doesn't?
1) Pickle chips. I'm not sure if these are technically unpopular or not but I love the saltiness and tanginess of them, especially the ones from Old Dutch.
2) Black Licorice. I don't like Redvines. They're waxy and stupid. But I'm always the one to empty out the black licorice from the combo bag.
3) Cleaning. I LOVE to do the dishes, sweep, vacuum, spray, dust, mop, etc. etc. Something about cleaning and organizing just makes me giddy.
4) Working on overwhelming projects. I love to plan things out, so once I have a nifty checklist and schedule in order, I love working on huge projects and seeing my progress as I check off each thing on my to-do list.
5) Writing school papers. While you may catch me complaining from time to time about workload, I really enjoy writing research papers at the end of term. I love what I learn, the work that goes into it, and having a product at the end that I'm proud of.
6) Grocery shopping. Maybe it isn't as true among younger adults, but most people I talk to seem to hate running errands. Figuring out a menu and going out to buy groceries is just grown-up chores, and therefore awful... but not to me. I LOVE coming up with the most efficient path through the store beforehand and picking out perfect items and figuring out sales and good prices. Have you noticed a lot of these things have to do with planning? Hm.
7) Mornings. Though this passion seems to have waned with age, waking up at 5:00 am is my prime-time. There's a different energy in the early morning.
8) Following the Speed limit. Why is this unpopular? Why are all these people passing me?
9) The Star Wars prequels. Everyone gives so much crap for episodes I-III. They're melodramatic and probably too long but I still LOVE watching them.
10) Apparently Coldplay...??? I mean, obviously not everyone hates them since they're a major success and everyone knows at least a few of their songs but there are SO MANY JOKES about the kinds of people who like Coldplay. So much hate out there. I may like a basic band, but are you in the top 1% of their Spotify listeners? Didn't think so.
Things I like that most people don't. (I'm sorry, I really don't think I can think of 10.)
- Candy corn.
- Clerical type work, if that makes sense? At my job we have to record all the patrons we help and all my coworkers hate doing it, but I love it.
- Subtitles during movies.
I wrote out 10 things I dislike that are generally popular in this question, so I'll give you 10 things I like that are generally unpopular.
- Researching. There's a reason I'm writer on here.
- Strong wind, particularly when it's blowing directly in my face.
- Cemeteries. They're so cool and great places to go to for a calming walk (either in the day or at night--I enjoy both).
- The physical discomfort of a really good stretch. Some things hurt so good! (this is probably the driving factor for my abnormal levels of flexibility)
- Solving hard math problems.
- The third Pirates of the Caribbean. As far as I'm concerned, this is where the movies should have ended, but I definitely like the third movie as much as the first.
- Classic literature. While I wouldn't say this is my favorite genre (fantasy will always hold sway there), I love diving into masterpieces like The Count of Monte Cristo or Jane Eyre (or any number of other classics--these were just the first two titles to pop into my mind).
- Old fairytales. You might have heard of Rumpelstiltskin, but what about Dancing Vargaluska?
- Reading academic papers. They're full of such fascinating information, and you get to learn so much by struggling through them.
Stealing some of the ones above!
- Candy corn
- Grocery shopping
- Researching (dead people)
- Cemeteries (again, dead people)
- Family history
- Journaling (Only the red letter days or spiritual moments. No one in your posterity cares that you ate oatmeal for breakfast every day.)
- Chiropractors (pretty much everyone I talk to think they're whackos)
- The Bachelorette (mainly to judge and cringe) I don't watch it anymore as a Mom. Not worth my time so I watch highlights.
- Salt and vinegar chips (in moderation)