Dear 100 Hour Board,
Repeat of #92328: give me some top five lists, but let other writers nominate your topics via flagettes.
-My Name Here
Top 5 Favorite Cover Songs (From Van Goff)
1. Screaming Goat I Knew You Were Trouble: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
3. 8 Bit Pathetique: Beethoven but sounds like an old Megaman game.
4. 99 Red Luft Balloons but with a Balloon: So meta. Also so hip and catchy
5. Postmodern Jukebox Careless Whisper: It's the Sexy Sax Man song but swing and it is just so much win.
Turkish March in Donkey Konga: Heck yeah electrical guitar, Mozart, and Donkey Kong. What more could you ask for?
Top 5 Most Haunted States (From Humble Master)
1. Iowa: Do we have proof it even exists? Definitely a Ghost. Haunted by corn.
2. Louisiana: New Orleans be Haunted AF
3. Florida: Not only does Florida man live there, but ghosts literally reveal pie recipes in this state.
4. Massachusetts: The home of Salem and like a gazillion old graveyards.
5. Virginia: Probably very haunted? I mean it's got like a gazillion Civil War battle sites. Also Roanoke.
Top 5 Methods for Removing Leg Hair (From Guesthouse) (Watch this video if you want a full 21 methods and some quick entertainment)
1. Wear Long Pants: Does it remove the hair? No. But it's way easier, cheaper, and not at all painful.
2. Lasers: Not only is this the literal coolest way possible to remove anything, but it lasts a few months.
3. Nair: It's like a hair removal lotion. Not only is it quick and easy, but you can put cool patterns on your legs if you really want.
4. Fire: You know you want to.*
5. Duct Tape: Painful, but awesome because duct tape.
Not-at-all-honorable Mention: Shaving them. I shaved my legs one time when I was a life guard because the life guards on the swim team did it and it was totally the worst. Like I feel it is so unfair society expects women to shave their legs because it is awful. 0/10 Would not recommend.
Even worse: Waxing. So painful. Just go with the fire instead*
*Don't use fire to remove your hair. That's not safety.. But also don't wax because that's even more stupid.
Old-Timey Exclamations (Tipperary)
2. By Jove!
3. What in the Sam Hill!
Dance Styles (Spectre)
1. Whatever Chad and Ryan were doing in "I Don't Dance."
2. I don't know any other dance styles.
3. Much like Chad, I don't dance.
4. My body just doesn't move that way.
5. Also whatever they were doing in "Lay All Your Love on Me" from Mamma Mia.
Hues of Blue (Guesthouse)
1. Cobalt blue
2. Turquoise blue
3. Seafoam blue
4. Midnight blue
Dear My Name-
Tipperary gave me this topic, which I believe is an example of "wordplay."
Top Five Groups of Four Men
- John, Paul, George, and Ringo (you knew this was going to happen)
- Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin
- Peter Venkman, Ray Stantz, Egon Spengler, and Winston Zeddemore
- Hamilton, Laurens, Lafayette, and HERCULES MULLIGAN
- Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael, and Michelangelo
There were some other list suggestions, but I unfortunately don't have time to work on them sufficiently before Alumni Week ends. So I'll leave it at that for now.
Top Five French Pastries (nominated by Tipperary)
- Framboisier: a delicious tiny raspberry layered cake
Source: my camera when I went to France
- Religeuse. That's the chocolate looking thing in the first photo. They're like eclairs but with more cream in the middle, and stacked on top of each other.
- Macarons. Ardilla once described them as "mini dessert hamburgers," which is my favorite description of them.
- Mille-feuille. It's a crispy layered pastry with lots of cream between the layers and topped with chocolate.
- Crepes. I think they count as a pastry, and because you can put basically anything on them they're super versatile and delicious.
(This is another photo I took myself)
Top Five 5's (nominated by el-Ahrairah)
- 5 fingers--I'm a big fan of opposable thumbs.
- The Jackson 5. Iconic.
- The 5th amendment. It has good stuff about no self incrimination, no double jeopardy, and due process. It does a lot to protect the rights of the accused, and that's pretty cool.
- 5S. This is something I had never heard of before, but apparently it's standards for workplace safety, which gets a thumbs up from me.
- My four siblings and I, obviously! I'd say the 5 of us are worthy of being in a Top Five Fives list.
Top Five Best Flavors of Cheesecake (nominated by Guesthouse)
- Classic New York cheesecake
- Salted caramel
- Vanilla bean
Most Texan Things - Tipperary
- What do you mean it's hot? 90°F is nice spring weather.
- If you invite me to a barbecue and serve me hamburgers and/or hot dogs, our friendship is over.
- Blue Bell ice cream isn't the best in the world or anything, but it's pretty good.
- Honestly, Whataburger isn't that great, but at least it isn't In-N-Out.
- I still don't like Coke or Pepsi, but when I have a soda (not often), I usually pick Dr Pepper.
Underrated Movies - Van Goff (I'll interpret this as box office flops that were actually good)
- Treasure Planet
- What If
- Scott Pilgrim vs the World
Longest Anime Screams - Spectre
- I'm sorry
- Spectre, but
- I don't watch
- Dragon Ball, and
- I probably never will.
Dear thank you,
Best towns with populations under 1,000 (Tipperary)
- Arco, Idaho, USA — This is one only town I can name off the top of my head with fewer than 1000 residents. Arco was not only the first town to be fully powered by nuclear energy, it was also the birthplace of Papa-rairah
- Akrotiri, Santorini, Greece — The modern site of a 16th century BC city that was buried by volcanic ash. Unlike Pompeii, the residents had sufficient time to evacuate and take their gold with them. There's a huge excavation site Owlet and I got to see last year.
- Diomede, Alaska, USA — The 115 people living on Little Diomede island are only 2.5 miles away from Big Diomede island, which happens to be in Soviet Russia.
- Edinburgh of the Seven Seas, British Overseas Territory — The only settlement on Tristan da Cunha, the most remote inhabited island in the world. There's no airstrip, so the only way to get here is a 6-day boat ride from South Africa. Its 250 residents are descended from 15 original settlers. A volcanic eruption forced all of them to evacuate in 1961, but they were able to return 2 years later.
- Hum, Croatia — Apparently the smallest town in the world, with a population of 30 residents. Why is this not just the trailer in the desert where my great uncle Jimbo lives with his dog?
Trickster Gods (Anathema)
- El-ahrairah/Tío Conejo/Br'er Rabbit — We're all the same, really
- 孙悟空 (Sun Wukong, The Monkey King)
- Jack/Ivan the Fool
- Satan the Trickster
Here we go!
Top 5 movie snacks, as nominated by Tipperary:
5. Sour Patch Kids, for the way they will rip your tongue to shreds before you even notice because you're so engrossed in the movie.
4. Milk Duds, for the way they're just...there, I guess, and so I might as well have another.
3. Popcorn, can't hate on an old standby.
2. Peanut butter M&Ms. Just an excellent candy all-around.
1. A full meal of fried rice with an egg on top. Growing up in Jakarta there was a movie theater offering full-size reclining lounging chairs plus a restaurant that delivered its dishes straight to you in the theater, and honestly it's all been downhill from there.
...and that's a great segue into my top 5 travel experiences, as nominated by El-ahraihah. I've thought about this for days and it's impossible--too many cool places--so I'm going to do top 5 times getting sick while traveling:
5. An eye infection in Cambodia, which meant I toured Angkor Wat with one eye swollen shut.
4. Heatstroke in Saudi Arabia, coming on just in time for my flight home, which left me vomiting, feverish, and delirious for my entire (solo) trip. I'm sorry, seatmate.
3. Giardia in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan. Honestly, what with it being 110 degrees out (don't travel to Rajasthan in June) I barely noticed the nausea.
2. Food poisoning in Egypt, which came on as I was on a train from Alexandria to Cairo and left me vomiting into into a trash can on the station platform in front of hundreds of people.
1. Food poisoning in Ethiopia on our first day of a backpacking trip in the Simien Mountains, which meant I hiked 12 miles at 7,000 feet puking my guts out the whole way. Lesson learned: never eat at a restaurant called the Semen Park Hotel.
Dear My 'Nym Here,
Top 5 Awkward Ways to End a Conversation (Anathema)
1. Classic "Love you too!"
2. New-fangled *right after a Zoom call but before realizing you're still on* "I hate people"
3. Rude "Oh, by the way, I have Coronavirus, so you might want to get checked."
4. Slowly shifting away from them until the conversation ends
5. *finger guns*
Top 5 Flowers (Van Goff)
Note: I took all of these photos, and got help finding the names of some from plant.id
2. Grewia occidentalis
3. Dietes bicolor
4. Dietes iridioides
5. Lantana camara
Top 5 Poems (Tipperary)
I already gave some of my all-time favorite poems here and also some here, but I'll do my top five not on that list. Specifically, I took a poetry class this past semester that I quite enjoyed, and so I will give you my top favorite poems not from Shel Silverstein, Bill Watterson, or Dr. Seuss.
1. I was recently introduced to this website, which has great readings from Whitman's Song of Myself. I didn't particularly enjoy reading the entire book, but the readings are great, and this one was my personal favorite.
How are you My Name Here!!
It is A.D. 2020 and lists are beginning.
Flavors of LaCroix (it can from Tipperary)
- Hi-Biscus! If it will want to drink a flower, it can with Hi-Biscuits.
- Pamplemousse. But it is so fancy!
- Kiwi Sandia. You will set up all the New Zealand with a Kiwi and a Sandia.
- Limoncello. You know what you doing when you drink a lime and a cello. It can greatest musical taste.
- Pure. But it is not sophisticated. In a time, you will wanting just a very expansive water.
Fictional dogs (it can from yayfulness)
- What you say!
- You know what you doing, yayfulness.
- But please remamber that dogs can fight cats, not CATS.
- We do not have a squarrel with any animal.
- Balto (1995)
- Noted with thank you!
- But it is usual. CATS will always with greatest.
- Is it a first time?
- Perpahs to the archives.
- Make your time.
- You know what you doing, Inklings.
- It cannot cats with CATS.
- But, if it must, it can with Peg + CATS. In a book!!
- Or Koko and Yum Yum from The Cat Who...! They should to solve crimes. But instead, it is all LIES.
- It will turn on a head with Garfield Minus Garfield.
- It is appreciate.
- Main screen turn on.
- You can remamber and share with every one.
- But it will always being a CATS!
- Move every ZIG.
Ha Ha Ha Ha...
Top 5 chewy candies (topic courtesy of El-ahrairah):
- Haribo Gummi Grapefruit
- Peppermint nougats
Honorable mentions go to Redvines, Goetze's caramels, Mentos, and Riesen. Swedish Fish and Sour Patch Kids are JUST OKAY (fight me).
Top 5 ska band names (topic courtesy of Tipperary):
- Mailman and the Animals (this was actually the name of the ska band I played with in high school)
- Skashank Redemption
- Flux Skapacitor
- Skabba the Hut