Dear 100 Hour Board,
I just bought a house and have about ten thousand dollars to buy some new furniture and decorate it. I want my house to look really nice and organized but I have no idea what my style is. I guess it's not very bohemian or modern, just like...normal and nice looking? How can I find decor styles to imitate? How would you do your house if you had money to spend?
-New house who dis
If you have the Home & Garden Network, just watch any of their shows. Any show that involves searching for or redecorating houses. You will get strong opinions very quickly.
Dear Our House,
THIS IS THE QUESTION I've BEEN WAITING FOR!
Re: finding your style -
- 100% you need to start a moodboard on Pinterest. Just start searching and pinning until you begin to refine the ideas and looks that you enjoy. You'll also find a lot of nice places to shop, plenty of discount codes, and probably some blogs of people who have been in a similar situation as you. All of this can be pretty helpful.
- Look on different websites or in magazines for ideas and rooms that are already put together.
- Start watching like HGTV because you figure out what you like pretty quickly.
- Walk through furniture stores and take pictures of pieces that you like. I do this in IKEA all the time.
- If you are looking and you find a table or a couch or a bookshelf or a blanket or a chair that you just ABSOLUTELY LOVE, start thinking about how you might frame the rest of the room around that piece.
Dear New House On The Block,
Let me tell ya, I read the first part of your question as "I just bought a horse and have about ten thousand dollars to buy some new furniture and decorate it...", and boy-oh-boy that was a wild trip my brain just went on before I realized what you'd actually said.