Dear 100 Hour Board,
I'm a new homeowner and apparently in my neighborhood it would be pretty odd not to decorate your house for Christmas. What is the cheapest, easiest way to not look like a Grinch? No way am I getting on a ladder to put lights on the roof, but I don't want it to look too half-baked.
Why not just hang some lights around your windows? You could get some of the strings of lights and even plug them in on the inside if you have the kind of blinds/curtains that would allow for the lights to still be visible. And of course get a wreath for your door.
Do your neighbors' decorations look anything like this?
(Thanks Mom for taking this photo)
If so, I feel you. Some pretty crazy neighbors in my neighborhood go all out. This family lives across the street from me and they add one new decoration each season. They were even mentioned in the newspaper one year!
You're looking for some cheap ways to decorate, eh? Well, this is what I came up with...
- Get some pretty ribbon and wrap it around your columns, fence, railing, or anything that you can wrap. You could do lit garland if you want to splurge a little extra.
- If you have any bushes, put lights in there and then get an extension cord to plug them in. (The picture above did this, right underneath the 'Merry Christmas" sign.
- This Pinterest mentions making your garage look like a present by adding ribbon to it. I would use ribbon that looks something like this from Hobby Lobby or another craft store of your choosing since it's pretty wide and on sale. (I'd try to find more opaque ribbon though.) If you aren't confident in making a bow, no worries, as they have huge bows also on sale. (Might be a little smaller than the example though.)
- You can also get a small pre-lit tree to light right outside your door.
- I saw this house during our daily walk and I thought it was cute. You could find some candy canes to line the sidewalk, and I heard you can make homemade lollipops with pool noodles, duct tape, saran wrap, etc.
But when it all fails and you can't bring yourself to decorate, you could always just write "DITTO -->" on your lawn.
Buy or make a cardboard cutout of the Grinch and put it in your lawn as a joke. Or put a hanukkiah in your window.
A few ideas:
- Cut out paper snowflakes and tape them to your window
- Hang ornaments in the trees outside your house (You can get ornaments for CHEAP at places like Target)
- Put a wreath on your door
- Get small Christmas trees (like $5 ones at Target that are a foot tall) and put them on your porch
- Leave Halloween decorations like ghosts out and if anyone asks say it's Jacob Marley
- Not worry about what your neighbors think about you bc you're new and don't have to satisfy anyone's expectations, especially if you can't afford it right now.