Although the tongue weighs very little, very few people are able to hold it. -Anonymous
Question #3885 posted on 03/12/2004 midnight
Q:

Dear 100 Hour Board,

I found a statistic on BYU's web page that said of ~8000 people who applied to BYU last year, ~2000 got rejected. I wanted to know what % of that ~2000 were female and the reverse, what % were male.

- Curious George

A: Dear Curious George,

My deepest apologies that it has taken so long to get back to you. I emailed the admissions office, but they have yet to get back to me. I'm sorry that I can't give you a precise answer. However, since gender is not a factor in the admissions process, it makes sense that the proportions would be approximately the same as the applicants who were admitted for that same period. Thus, approximately 57.7% of the denied applicants were female, leaving 42.3% male. The current BYU student population is more than 50% male, in spite of large numbers of guys leaving on missions, suggesting either that fewer women finish their degree, or that men take longer to finish theirs. Very interesting.

-Peachy