Whenever he thought about it, he felt terrible. And so, at last, he came to a fateful decision. He decided not to think about it. ~John-Roger and Peter McWilliams
Question #41706 posted on 12/31/2007 3:01 a.m.

Dear 100 Hour Board,

My friend is from China recently graduated with an engineering degree from a U.S. university and would like to be a teacher. But although he has a work visa, he won't get his citizenship for another 2 years. Can he still teach?

- Anonymous

A: Dear Anon,

Sure! He can teach as much as he wants! Or did you mean accredited, and for money?

It depends on where he wants to teach. The U.S. Department of Education states, "Each state and territory administers its own laws and regulations governing the certification of primary and secondary teachers. States vary as to whether they will accept non-U.S. degrees and qualifications and whether they will certify noncitizens."

Here's what Hawaii says (it was one of the first things that came up on my Google search.)

Good luck to your "friend."


The Cleaning Lady