"Barring polygamy, you will break up with every person you date minus one." - Yellow
Question #45256 posted on 05/26/2008 3:01 a.m.

Dear 100 Hour Board,

I emailed the PWS Major people at BYU twice in the past few weeks about the Wildlife and Wildlands Conservation major and haven't heard back, so I'm trying my luck with another source! :) I am trying to figure out what classes to sign up for and currently have Chem 106 and 107. (I'll be a sophomore) The thing is, I don't want to take these classes and I don't think they're required for the major. My question is, will taking these help me in the major (one page says something about them being recommended for a "pre-professional," and I'm not sure what that means), or can I stop with Chemistry now? (I just finished Chem 105) Thanks!

- She

A: Dear She,

Chem 105 and 106 are definitely not required for the Wildlife and Wildlands Conservation major. If they were, there is no way I would have been in that major once. Chem 101 is recommended (along with Geology 101, because the two combined fulfill your Physical Science GE). So you ought to be prepared for all of your major classes after having take Chem 105, but if you're planning on going into a field that requires a lot of Chemistry after you graduate, you ought to consider taking 106 and 107.

As for what classes you should take, I'm not sure if you were asking for opinions, but I highly recommend PWS 225 from Danny Raymer, and your life will not be complete until you take Range Management from Dr. Roundy. Other than that, since you're only just starting your sophomore year, you should be able to follow the MAP pretty well without much difficulty.

I'm surprised that the "PWS Major people" have neglected to get back to you. Try PWS-Secretary @ byu.edu, if you haven't already. Whoever's in charge of that email account has always been quite quick to get back to me (and send me multiple job opportunities every week until I finally managed to convince them that I'm not in their major anymore). If that address doesn't work for you, you can call them at (801) 422-3042, because you'd really do well to get with an adviser before you get too far into the major. Tell them if they don't help you, you will send ninjas to steal their freakin' awesome candy bowl.