Although the tongue weighs very little, very few people are able to hold it. -Anonymous
Question #45290 posted on 05/26/2008 3:01 a.m.

Dear 100 Hour Board,

I've looked a lot, but never found a definitive answer to this and I'm confused. I grew up in another state and have lived there for 20 years. I've been attending BYU now for over a year and a half now, and I'm currently renting my own apartment. Given this state of perhaps-residency, do I have a choice about which state should I register to vote in (for the 2008 presidential election)? If so, do I just register for an absentee ballot? I'd really like to vote but have no idea how I'm supposed to go about doing so.

Thank you,
- I-am-not-sure-of-which-state-I-am-a-resident

A: Dear Reader,

If you're already registered to vote in your home state, then you can request an absentee ballot from your home county or you can register to vote here in Utah. If you're not registered back home, then you must vote here (or, optionally, register to vote if you're going home between now and October-ish). Generally speaking, you have to change your voter registration or request an absentee ballot no later than 30 days before an election, so don't put the decision off until the last minute, or you won't be able to vote at all.

This page has information about registering to vote in Utah County. The procedure for absentee voting will depend on your home county. Try Googling [home county] absentee ballot to find the website with the appropriate information.

- Katya