"If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun." - Katharine Hepburn
Question #53734 posted on 10/01/2009 3:01 a.m.

Dear 100 Hour Board,

At some point, one of the USB ports in my laptop lost the little black plastic cover that goes over the four metal prongs. So I can still plug things into it, but the connection is super flakey. Is it possible to repair or replace something like that? I know laptops can be tricky to work with...


A: Dear Disconected,

I asked my reliable computer-savvy friend about your question. Just as I suspected, those little cover things really aren't too important, and if that is what you want to replace then you should just consider getting some more from a computer store. If you actually want to replace the USB port itself then you should go to a computer specialist. It isn't really too complicated. If your USB ports are a part of the computer, i.e., connected to the motherboard, then you would have to replace the entire thing. If they are external, then you just need to replace them, which is way easier.

If you aren't sure what to buy, or what needs replacing, I still recommend going to see a guy about a computer. There are people who work in the BYU Bookstore (second floor, in the computers area, imagine that), and there are quite a few computer places in the Provo/Orem area.