Happiness often sneaks in through a door you didn't know you left open. -John Barrymore
Question #86947 posted on 06/10/2016 7:37 p.m.

Dear 100 Hour Board,

Summer is best spent in the many glorious 58 US National Parks or 6,624 State Parks! Not to mention being a lookie-lou at one of the 121 National Monuments! Fun fact: the only mobile US National Monument are the San Francisco Cable Cars!

I cruised through a National Park the other day, and I recall reading on the ranger station's window, where the fees are listed, that permanently handicapped individuals (I think those who have the blue handicap placards?) may apply for life-long passes. It wasn't until after I oohed-and-awed at majestic mountain peaks, caught a glimpses of the elusive wolf, covertly fed prairie dogs (no need to chew me out on this... I know what I did was wrong even though I fed it healthy carrots), and was well out of the park, that I thought of my handicapped sister, and pondered her eligibility and how she might obtain a life-long pass.

Can you tell me if I saw correctly that permanently handicapped individuals may obtain life-long passes to the national parks? What that entails exactly? Is it indeed for those who have proof, i.e. the blue handicapped placard issued by the US government? Or is it more involved than that? I'm assuming there is a fee for the life-long pass? Can you tell me if it's a one-time fee or is it an annual fee? How much is it? How does one apply/submit/obtain a life-long pass? Does it have to be at one of the National Parks ranger stations or could it be done online? Do the passes cover State Parks or National Monuments?


-Carmen San Diego

P.S. What's your favorite National/State Park/Monument?


Dear Carmen,

This was a great question. I found this article by the National Parks Service that has all the answers to the questions you asked. 


P.S. I like Yellowstone the best because I love the bears, moose and, most of all, the bison. They're so fluffy!

posted on 06/11/2016 4:26 a.m.
We have an Access pass for my Autistic son, and I LOVE it. I spent a lot of time pouring over that link posted above and making sure I had all the diagnosis in hand when we went to Zion to get the pass. And while your mileage may vary, the ranger hardly glanced at it all. He just had me sign a clipboard and gave me the pass. I've heard that if you send in the paperwork, you need to have your ducks perfectly lined up (and pay the $10 processing fee), so my advice would be to get one in person at the park.

-The Answer is 42

P.S. It also gets you campsites at half price in the parks.